On Saturday, May 5th, my dad took my sister Shannon and I scuba diving.
When we had our Park City family vacation last year my dad took all the adults scuba diving at the Crater. However, Shannon and I couldn't go since we were both pregnant.
So since we are no longer pregnant my dad scheduled a time for us to go.
We met up at the Crater and changed into our swimming suits.
My dad and his friend Steve explained all the basic information to us regarding scuba diving.
I thought I understood it all. I was somewhat nervous to go, but I was also excited.

When I got in the water and started practicing my breathing through the mouth piece, my nerves really took off. I didn't like that sound or the feel of it. Something about it just really rattled my nerves. But I still felt like I could do it. Once we were all ready to go, our goal was to go down to a wooden platform about 20 feet (I think) below the surface of the water.
On my way down I couldn't get my ears to pop. Between the pain in my ears and the noise I made when breathing I totally freaked out. I started trying to swim upward. It was taking too long and I freaked out even more. I ripped my mouth piece up and was flailing around trying to make it to the surface. My dad grabbed my arm and helped me make it to the top.
He talked me through it again and reassured me.
We started to descend together, but I freaked out again and returned to the surface. This time I didn't yank out my oxygen source. I swam over to the wall and clung to it and prayed. I prayed for help to be able to dive without panicking. I prayed with all my might.
When we had our Park City family vacation last year my dad took all the adults scuba diving at the Crater. However, Shannon and I couldn't go since we were both pregnant.
So since we are no longer pregnant my dad scheduled a time for us to go.
We met up at the Crater and changed into our swimming suits.
My dad and his friend Steve explained all the basic information to us regarding scuba diving.
I thought I understood it all. I was somewhat nervous to go, but I was also excited.
When I got in the water and started practicing my breathing through the mouth piece, my nerves really took off. I didn't like that sound or the feel of it. Something about it just really rattled my nerves. But I still felt like I could do it. Once we were all ready to go, our goal was to go down to a wooden platform about 20 feet (I think) below the surface of the water.
On my way down I couldn't get my ears to pop. Between the pain in my ears and the noise I made when breathing I totally freaked out. I started trying to swim upward. It was taking too long and I freaked out even more. I ripped my mouth piece up and was flailing around trying to make it to the surface. My dad grabbed my arm and helped me make it to the top.
He talked me through it again and reassured me.
We started to descend together, but I freaked out again and returned to the surface. This time I didn't yank out my oxygen source. I swam over to the wall and clung to it and prayed. I prayed for help to be able to dive without panicking. I prayed with all my might.
My dad came and got me again. This time we went over by the orange buoys. We used the ropes to slowly descend down to the square below. You can somewhat see it in the picture above. I was praying all the way down and clinging to that rope and my dad. I made it. And I got my ears to pop. It took a lot of focus but I was able to do it. After I got acclimated I was able to swim around a bit. I went down farther and was able to explore a bit. I even did a somersault in the water.
I think we ended up diving about 55 feet or so. I enjoyed it for the most part and I would like to try it again - just maybe in a more open environment.
I'm so grateful my prayers were answered and that my nerves settled enough for me to have a great time. And thanks to my dad for saving my life. Never rip out your source of oxygen while you're having a panic attack under water. It is a REALLY bad idea.
Oh, and never wear a swim skirt over your swimming suit while scuba diving.
It's really annoying!
2 comments:
It was a great experience for both of us. We will do it again, for sure! This time with certification in mind.
That is so funny, I feel very confident in water and it did freak me out as I started to descend, it was very weird being able to breath and it took me a while to remember that I could breath underwater. It took me a few trys too so don't feel to bad.
Post a Comment