Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Our Family Birthday

On the 12th of October we celebrated our 6th anniversary! But due to all that was going on that day (dog being on death bed, pampered chef party, surprise birthday party) we didn't really get to celebrate it that day. We like to celebrate it as a family birthday.
This year we celebrated it on the 18th. We took the whole day to celebrate.



We surprised the boys by taking them to the frontrunner.
They were SO excited to ride the train!

We loved riding the train.
We passed the time by reading books and by watching the scenery fly by.

Once we got to Salt Lake we transferred to the Trax.
The boys were so excited to go on TWO trains!

We took the boys to the Church History Museum.
They have a Children's Exhibit that we had never seen.
So we decided to take the boys to see it!

This was right in the front lobby. I thought it was absolutely beautiful!
It's called "a mother protects her child in the storm".
I just loved it!

We walked around the main floor for a while and talked to the boys (mainly William) about the pioneers.
They thought the covered wagon was very cool.

They also enjoyed climbing on the bunks.
These were replicas of bunks you'd find on a ship.

A tour guide told us that an entire family would sleep on ONE bed.
I can't imagine sleeping that way.

This is a bit odd, but it is seriously one of my favorite things about the museum.
That is a peg leg that a man wore. He walked every week from Alpine (I believe) to Salt Lake so that he could work on the temple. His stump would get sore and would bleed, but he would continue walking. He walked to Salt Lake at the beginning of the week, and then he would walk back home to Alpine at the end of the week. The journey of 30 miles would probably take him two days.
I love his dedication. He knew that the work he was doing was so important. 

I learned this time that the organ sitting back in the corner was built and brought by the same man who designed and built the organ in the Salk Lake tabernacle. 

William loved seeing the angel Moroni.
He didn't quite grasp, though, that the Moroni he was standing next to and the Moroni he could see through the window on top of the Salt Lake temple were the same size.

An old podium

We then headed to the Children's exhibit. 

They had a super fun area about various Mexican dances.
I really loved wearing and twirling that skirt!

This video is kinda long, but I PROMISE you'll enjoy it.
And feel free to laugh all you want.
I can't watch it without laughing!

They had several fun things for the kids. We really enjoyed playing with the puppets.


The had a really cute farm/garden area.
Henry loved getting eggs from the chickens.

William did not like the chickens.
He said it was because of Shannon's chickens. haha!

They had a great time picking their garden.
Henry smacked himself in the head with one of the vegetables. His reaction was hilarious!



They then played in the kitchen for a little bit.

Charlie loved watching his brothers run around.
I probably should have gotten him out of the stroller...


The boys worked together to build towers. 

David and I both attempted to lift the "golden plates". They were VERY heavy!

We had a wonderful time at the museum!
I know I'm excited to go back and  dance again  see the exhibit.


We walked by part of City Creek on our way back to the Trax.
The fall colors are beautiful!

We really enjoyed our "family birthday".
I'm so grateful that I married an incredible man 6 years ago.
And we both are very grateful for our 3 handsome boys!
I'm so grateful that families can be eternal through the sealing power of the priesthood!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Looks like a very fun day. Love the dancing by everyone. Rose looked like she had to much fun in that skirt.