Thursday, April 4, 2013

Henry's 1st Haircut

On Monday, January 28th, I decided it was time for Henry to have his hair cut.
I loved his curls. I still do. I loved watching them bounce up and down as he ran to the bathroom.
I loved all the little ringlets. I loved his WILD bedhead. I loved almost everything about them.
I did not love the battles to comb his hair, but I found a great solution to that so it wasn't such a battle anymore.And I especially didn't love all the rude comments people made to me.
Some people would stop me and compliment his hair and say their little boy had hair just like that until he was 3 or whatever age. One girl told me her brother's hair was like 5 or 6 before her parents cut off his curls. Those comments encouraged me and helped me feel like I was not alone in my love of the curls.
It was the comments from some people at church or some family members that really bothered me and hurt me. And they really brought out my "mama bear" feelings of protecting my boy. Yes I understand his hair was not the typical style for boys. Yes I endured several people thinking he was a girl - but I always corrected them. But he is my child. He loved his curls. If he had asked for them to be cut off I would have done it much sooner. I would ask him on occasion if he liked them and wanted to keep them. He always told me yes. It was our choice to keep them as long as we did. I wish that people had been more respectful of our choice. Especially considering that they really had no say in the matter and that Henry's long curls hurt no one and it definitely didn't affect his masculinity. He is as boy as they come!

I had set so many deadlines for myself of when to cut his hair. But those deadlines all came and went. Well in January there was a coupon in the mail for great clips. I figured the price was too good to pass up. I had to use it by the 30th. So that was my new deadline. But still it was hard to bring myself to take him in. I kept letting things get in the way of going. And I wouldn't let David do it because I wanted to be the one there with him when he got his curls cut off.
On Monday the 28th I decided that if anyone was going to cut off his curls it would be me.
So after lunch I grabbed the scissors and took Henry to the bathroom.
I didn't even tell David what I was doing.


Before - his beautiful curls!

My handsome boy!

One last picture of the long curls.

The first cut.

I would wrap little hair bands around the ringlets and cut them off above the hair band.
I saved as many of his curls as I could.

After.
He looked in the mirror and I asked him what he thought.
He said, "better."
I laughed even though my heart hurt a little.
 

I took him downstairs and sent him into the office to show David.
He was surprised and impressed that I did it.

The next day I took him into Great Clips to get his hair properly cut.
We chose to keep it longer. He has more of a shag hair cut.

A few weeks later
He has received lots of compliments on his new hairdo. And (really not surprising) I still get comments from people saying his hair isn't boyish enough. I just grin and bear it. He's my boy!
His hair is still adorable and it is still curly! I love his new hair cut and I think it suits him well.
It did take me about 2 weeks to get used to seeing him without the long ringlets. I'm glad I kept them as long as I did and I wouldn't change how long we kept them. 

1 comment:

Becky said...

He looks very nice, even with his long beautiful hair!