Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Advice needed
I am in need of some good advice. Since William will be 1 next Monday, I have started weaning him from breastfeeding. So far we have cut out his bedtime feeding. He currently nurses 3 times a day still - 7:30, 11:30 and about 4:30 or 5. So I really want some good advice from mothers out there who nursed their babies for a year and how they weaned their babies. Also, did you feel rather emotional about it? I feel so sad about weaning William. I love that 10 minutes we spend together 3 times a day. He lets me hold him close and doesn't push me away. We laugh and giggle together as he drinks. I feel so sad that this is coming to an end. So I ask, what did you do to wean and how did you handle it emotionally? I really appreciate your advice. Thanks so much!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Easy! Okay, not really. I nursed Gabe and Marissa until they were one. Okay, Gabe because Marissa weined herself by 10months.
This is my advice. Cut out one of the feedings. Maybe his afternoon one. By this point he is fine and doesn't really need it. You will still give him the other two and it really wont be a shock to take the middle one out. Plus this is probably around the time that he will be eating lunch/snack. So substitue food for this or a drink.
Once he's gotten used to that one gone then you just have to get rid of another one. I recommend the morning. You are probably nursing him right when he wakes up right? If so, then right when he wakes up give him breakfast. He really wont notice the difference. But if he is waking up and you nurse him to go back to sleep for another hour or so I would not take this one out and cut out the 5pm one. I guess it just depends on if you want to sleep in or not.
To cut out the last one then do the same as above.
But, if you are feeling sad then maybe it's not time to stop nursing. I know this sounds crazy, but it's the truth. I know a lot of friends that couldn't stop nursing and did it until 18months. They only nursed their baby once a day by that point but they couldn't stop.
When I weaned Gabe I was SO ready. No sadness on my part. I weaned him in about 1 week. Just cut the 3 nursing times out slowly that week and he was fine.
Marissa on the other hand I was sad. She wanted to be done, but I wasn't ready. I still tryed at least once but it was always a fight.
Anyway, sorry for the long comment. If you have any questions email me. Hope I helped.
so you don't have to wean at 1 year of age...you can keep going as long as you both want to...I know a lot of mama's that do one breastfeeding session with their babies past the age of one...and he may choose to wean by himself...good luck that must be very hard
you've gotten some great advice so far! the only thing i would add is there is nothing wrong with continuing to nurse him. I nursed Landon til he was almost 14 months and by that time, he weaned himself and it was very easy. But emotionally i was very sad. I LOVE nursing and i was so sad when landon stopped because to me, it felt like he wasn't my little baby boy anymore but a big boy that was growing up WAY too fast. i looked for other ways to be close to him, extra snuggling and wrestling time. but i guess the ultimate answer to your question is, have another baby! :-) Now i get to nurse again and i LOVE it. Good luck!
WEAN WEAN WEAN !!!
Don't wean. seriously. Weird people will tell you that you should, but they aren't William's mom.
Post a Comment