
15 years ago today was a very scary day in the life of my family. We had moved to Nebraska a week or so before and had moved into our house just a day or two before. It was a Friday. I was in third grade and didn't feel comfortable in my new class. I stayed home that day because of a stomach ache. Really it was nerves. I can tell you what I was wearing that day and a few other little details. But the reason why this day was scary was because of what occurred that afternoon.
My dad was up in the attic of our garage putting boxes away. Somehow he moved a board which covered a hole that was originally made for a pull-down ladder. He backed up and fell through the hole onto the garage floor. My oldest sister and my older brother were outside when this happened. I think Jacob came in first and told my mom. She looked out the window and saw my dad lying on the garage floor. She called 911. I ran outside to the garage. When I saw my dad I ran by the side of our van and prayed that my dad wouldn't die. My dad was life-flighted to a hospital in Omaha. Some members of the ward came over and showed my mom how to get to the hospital and then they gave my dad a blessing. One man from church took my 3 older siblings home with him. Adam and I went home with a man my dad worked with.
After spending some time in the hospital my dad finally came home. He had shattered his right wrist, broken his jaw in a few places, but other than that he was ok. I wish I had a picture of the contraption they had in his right arm. I remember him telling some little kids in my ward that it was a post for birds to sit on. He also had his jaw wired shut for several weeks. We have some great family memories of my mom blending up quiche for my dad to drink. Needless to say, he didn't like it.
The only lasting effect he has from this accident is something that is actually somewhat comical. When my dad eats, he salivates out of the side of his face by his left ear. When they fixed his jaw they must have messed something up. It's pretty funny. When he eats spicy foods it pours!
My dad is one of my heroes. I really admire him. I appreciate his love and friendship. I've always been a daddy's girl. When I was little my dad and I would lay in bed and listen to the birds singing. I love when I wake up and hear the birds chirping because it reminds me of my dad. When I got married, the hardest adjustment for me was not being around my dad all the time. I had to learn to rely upon David (which I have and am very grateful for).
Dad, I'm really grateful that your accident wasn't as serious as it could have been. I love you! Thanks for everything.
My dad was up in the attic of our garage putting boxes away. Somehow he moved a board which covered a hole that was originally made for a pull-down ladder. He backed up and fell through the hole onto the garage floor. My oldest sister and my older brother were outside when this happened. I think Jacob came in first and told my mom. She looked out the window and saw my dad lying on the garage floor. She called 911. I ran outside to the garage. When I saw my dad I ran by the side of our van and prayed that my dad wouldn't die. My dad was life-flighted to a hospital in Omaha. Some members of the ward came over and showed my mom how to get to the hospital and then they gave my dad a blessing. One man from church took my 3 older siblings home with him. Adam and I went home with a man my dad worked with.
After spending some time in the hospital my dad finally came home. He had shattered his right wrist, broken his jaw in a few places, but other than that he was ok. I wish I had a picture of the contraption they had in his right arm. I remember him telling some little kids in my ward that it was a post for birds to sit on. He also had his jaw wired shut for several weeks. We have some great family memories of my mom blending up quiche for my dad to drink. Needless to say, he didn't like it.
The only lasting effect he has from this accident is something that is actually somewhat comical. When my dad eats, he salivates out of the side of his face by his left ear. When they fixed his jaw they must have messed something up. It's pretty funny. When he eats spicy foods it pours!
My dad is one of my heroes. I really admire him. I appreciate his love and friendship. I've always been a daddy's girl. When I was little my dad and I would lay in bed and listen to the birds singing. I love when I wake up and hear the birds chirping because it reminds me of my dad. When I got married, the hardest adjustment for me was not being around my dad all the time. I had to learn to rely upon David (which I have and am very grateful for).
Dad, I'm really grateful that your accident wasn't as serious as it could have been. I love you! Thanks for everything.
4 comments:
i remember that day. i am so glad that your dad was okay in the end.
Wow! What a story! I'd never heard that - from you or Jacob!
Very sweet post. I love the listening to the birds part. =)
I can't believe it has been that long already. I still remember that day very clearly too, expect I don't remember what I was wearing that day!!! hehe
I have the newspaper article somewhere in my room.
Post a Comment