39 weeks pregnant - this is the only profile picture I took while pregnant. I only decided to take one since I knew I was going to have the baby in a few days. Anyway, on to Henry's birth story.
On May 19th I still was just barely (if even) dilated. My doctor had told me the week before that he didn't want me to go much over my due date, that he would strip my membranes on the 19th, and that at my next appointment we could discuss being induced. I honestly didn't want to be induced. I just wanted to let Henry come when he was ready. But over the course of that week, something changed in me, and I really felt that the Friday the 21st was when I could/would have Henry. On the 19th, Dr. Holmes stripped my membranes as planned. It didn't really hurt, thank goodness. We then set up an appointment for me to be induced. He was asking about the next week, but I decided to be brave/bold and ask about the 21st. Thankfully, that worked best for Orem Community Hospital so it all was arranged.
Having my membranes stripped did set some things in motion. I lost my mucus plug the next day. (Gross!) But no baby. It was so strange Thursday night to think about being induced in the morning and to think I would hopefully be holding my baby by that time the next day. We stayed up late making sure everything was in order to go to the hospital and for William at home. (William was watched by my mother-in-law, Terry.)
I felt so odd going into the hospital not being in labor. I felt like I was cheating. I'm not sure if I'll do that again. Anyway, we got to the hospital around 7:30am. All the rooms were full in the women's center, so I had to start out in the little triage room while we waited for some women to check out. At 8 or so my nurse, Wendy, started the pitocin. I had actually dilated to a 3 between Wednesday afternoon and Friday morning. Being checked hurt a lot because my cervix was posterior.
The contractions weren't too bad. My nurse was so helpful and encouraged me to go as long as I could without an epidural. She reminded me to breathe deeply, close my eyes, and focus inward during my contractions. That helped me so much! Every half hour or hour Wendy increased my pitocin. Unfortunately I wasn't dilating AT ALL! Around 10:30 or so I was able to move into my suite. I say suite because Orem's rooms are huge and super nice! And you stay in the same room your entire stay. Anyway, still no progress and the pitocin kept going up, but my contractions still felt the same.
Starting the pitocin!
Around 12:30 or so Dr. Holmes came to visit. I was still at a 3. He decided it was time to break my water. I honestly cannot believe how much amniotic fluid came out of me! With William my water had broken around 4:45 am and kept gushing/leaking until 10:30 am or so. Anyway, as soon as that cushion was gone, my contractions hurt so much. I decided then to get an epidural.
The anesthesiologist came in around 1:15 pm. Wendy banished David to the corner and stayed with me as I got my epidural. She had seen how poorly David handled having my water broken and feared how he would handle watching the epidural put in! With my epidural in place, Wendy checked me again - 4 this time.
Around 2 or so Wendy came back in with another nurse. Henry's heart rate was dropping a lot with each contraction. They decided to run a pic line through my cervix and into my uterus so water would be dripping back into my uterus. This gave Henry enough of a cushion to somewhat prevent his heart rate from dropping as much. As they were placing the line I progressed from a 5 to a 7! Dr. Holmes showed up shortly thereafter. He had been watching my progression in his office and could tell Henry was coming soon. I quickly progressed to a 10. They waited a few more minutes for the cervix to be completely ready before they let me push. As I was waiting I felt a strong urge to push! I don't remember feeling that with William. While we waited I asked Dr. Holmes about cutting the cord. I knew David wouldn't do it, so I asked if I could. He said if I could reach then I could do it!
Anyway, I'm not sure what time I started pushing at. All I know is that I pushed about 5 times total. On the 3rd push, Henry crowned. On the 4th I saw his head come out. And on the 5th out came Henry at 2:54pm! Dr. Holmes clamped the cord and handed me the scissors. It was so amazing to be able to cut the cord! I've always wanted to do that and I hope I can do it with our future children! Henry was then placed on my tummy (that didn't happen with William unfortunately). I helped clean him up and then I got to hold him for a minute or so.
They then weighed and checked out Henry.
APGAR score: 8, then 9
6 lbs 14 oz, 20 inches long and simply beautiful! And red hair!
I need to back up a bit. When William was born, he came out so quietly and barely even cried. He also had his eyes wide open, ready to take everything in. Henry came out screaming (well after they cleared his mouth) with his eyes clamped shut! He quieted down after a bit and eventually opened his eyes.
After Henry was checked out and I was stitched up, I got to breastfeed him. I wasn't able to do this with William partly because we had visitors right away and also because they took him to the nursery for more tests since he was preterm. I wish I could have done that for him, but I understand why it didn't happen. I loved being able to nurse Henry right away. It was amazing and so peaceful.

William and Terry came about an hour or so after Henry was born. We got to introduce William to Henry. He was more interested in his new present from his brother than he was in his brother. (That quickly changed. William ADORES Henry!) We took a family photo, cuddled Henry for a little bit longer, and then decided it was time for him to have a bath. Wendy took Henry to the nursery with David, William, and Terry in tow. Wendy then came back and took care of me.
I just have to say that I had a fantastic birthing experience with both of my children. They were each similar in many ways, and yet different too. But both experiences were and are sacred to me. I will never forget seeing my sons for the very first time. I can clearly see William coming out with his eyes open wide and letting out a tiny cry. I can clearly see Henry coming out, purple, quiet, and then screaming. I will always treasure these experiences. Both Utah Valley and Orem are great hospitals. I would gladly go to either one for the birth of my child. When I drive by either one I feel so grateful to them. If we are in the area when our next child comes along, I think I'll choose Orem again. I just loved all the time they gave me with Henry right after he was born.
More to come!
5 comments:
YAY! Thanks for sharing. I love birthing stories. They are such amazing experiences and I love to hear mothers tell them. Your boys are lucky to have such a loving mother.
I love that story, I had been anticipating it! I love birth! I always feel so happy passing the hospitals where I gave birth too. Maybe someday I'll give birth in my home, then I can always feel that way! lol! Glad he's here, glad you had a great experience getting him here!
I love this post :) And I love that most women love birth stories. Even the gruesome details :) I am glad that you had such a good experince. I love that first moment that you get to hold your new baby, I have had it 2 out of the 3 babies and it was sooo special. Lova ya and can't wait to see you soon!!!
and sorry for any spelling mistakes my comp won't let me see what I type....
Thanks for sharing. I love my stories of each of my kids and they love to hear them too as they get older.
He is such a cute little guy. I am glad that he made it out!
Post a Comment