Three years ago today was a splendidly awkward day. It was the BIG day. I got home from work probably around 6:30 am and anxiously climbed into bed. After possibly getting a few hours of sleep my alarm went off. I got myself ready for the day and finally put on the brand new shirt and jeans that had been sitting in my closet for a few months. I had to have the perfect outfit of course! I met up with David's family and rode with them to the airport. We waited impatiently by the security gate only to realize that David had come from a different gate and was waiting on the main floor by the escalators.
It was INCREDIBLY awkward going down to see him. I politely stepped back so he could greet his family members. Then we walked on to get his baggage. I didn't even say hello. I was too nervous. His mom looked at me and asked me if I had said anything to him. After all we had been anxiously awaiting this day for 2 years! To me, this was THE moment - would he be happy to see me? Would he be upset that I was there? I had NO clue! Some how we got pushed next to each other and finally greeted each other. Thus we have this gem of a picture...

Awkward? Oh yes! And let me tell you the day didn't get much better.
But the awkwardness soon passed. It took 6 days for us to share our second "first" kiss while watching The lion the witch and the wardrobe (I LOVE that movie).
It was INCREDIBLY awkward going down to see him. I politely stepped back so he could greet his family members. Then we walked on to get his baggage. I didn't even say hello. I was too nervous. His mom looked at me and asked me if I had said anything to him. After all we had been anxiously awaiting this day for 2 years! To me, this was THE moment - would he be happy to see me? Would he be upset that I was there? I had NO clue! Some how we got pushed next to each other and finally greeted each other. Thus we have this gem of a picture...
Awkward? Oh yes! And let me tell you the day didn't get much better.
But the awkwardness soon passed. It took 6 days for us to share our second "first" kiss while watching The lion the witch and the wardrobe (I LOVE that movie).
Ten days after he got home we went on a picnic together and then went to the soul to soul 2 concert (Tim McGraw and Faith Hill).
Then came August 7th. It was a Monday and my parents were in Nebraska with my very pregnant sister. So of course I had FHE with David and his mother. This FHE is NEVER to be forgotten. We had a lesson given by Terry about following the Holy Ghost's promptings. After she concluded David told her she needed to give a challenge. And a challenge she gave!!! By the end of the week we needed to pray to find out if we should get married! (My mother wasn't too happy when she heard about that! But I think it was a splendid challenge!)
So the next day we took a little drive down to Provo and we went to the temple together. We prayed individually about whether we should get married. Then David opened his scriptures and it just so happened to fall on Genesis 2:24 "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh."
We both felt like it was right.
So 13 days after he came home, David and I were engaged! (And he hadn't even given his homecoming talk yet!)
On August 19th he officially proposed with the ring. Perfect timing considering we were having our engagement pictures taken that day.

And 2 1/2 months after he got home we celebrated our wedding!
How's that for a welcome home?
David, even though way too many people told me it wouldn't work, we made it! I'm so glad that I waited for you. You are the best husband and friend I could ever ask for. I'm so thankful that you served an honorable mission and I'm grateful you came home honorably to me.
I love you!
10 comments:
I really didn't think you would take my challenge seriously - but you did - and it worked out - and I am happy it did! My how time flies. Does your mother forgive me Rose? I'm not sure Dad does - but I didn't set the date - just hurried the engagement along.
Awesome story! I have always wondered how you two got engaged. Now all i need to know is how you met. I figure you were in High School, but I want more details than that. ;)
Isn't it great to say I told you so? lol :)
I love that it all worked out and boo on those who told you it wouldn't!! And now you two have an absolutely adorable almost 1 year old baby boy!!!!! I love how life works out so splendidly :) YAY!!!
That story is so great! Thanks for sharing it!
So sweet. I will admit know that I was really worried for you. I knew how much you loved him and I was scared that you would get hurt but I felt that if it didn't work out that you would know and that your pain would be minimal. But I am very glad that it worked out of course especially since you could stop carrying around his hair in your purse. JK will not really!!
oh, that's just as sweet as can be!
i love hearing stories like this because there are more couples than people think that wait for each other! And i am one of them too! :-)
I never realized how fast it all happened. You two are perfect for each other. Thanks for sharing.
Love it! what a great story to share! :D p.s. BJ and I just missed you at meghan's reception last night. When ashlee told us you had just left...I said, "what, why didn't she call us. we would have come earlier." Needless to say we were sad we missed you.
Post a Comment