Well last week one of my favorite students moved! Very sad. My emotions must be really out of wack because of pregnancy because I bawled that evening. I had found out right after the bell rang for the end of school that he was moving and that he wouldn't be back. So it was very sad for me. However, I had a pleasant surprise the next day when he got to come for one last day. All my students and I miss him. He is a great, sweet student and very bright.
Last Wednesday the 5th my students and I were talking about community helpers. I had mentioned doctors and dentists and then the kids were telling me other helpers. One little boy raised his hand and I thought he said "teachers". So of course I go off about how wonderful teachers are and all the great things they do for us. Well, a little girl stopped me and said "No! That's not what he said. He said Jesus." So then we talked about how we can't really talk about Jesus in school because some people don't like it. A lot of my students were like "What? That's so stupid!" So to validate the boy's comment I ended the little discussion by saying, "but yes, Jesus does help us."
On Tuesday the 11th one of my little girls fell off the monkey bars and hurt her back. She came running up to me, bawling. So while she hugged my leg I rubbed her back and said "It's ok. It's ok." After a minute, she looks up at me with big tears and says "No, it's not ok!" Very cute and funny. She was ok a minute later.
Today my later gators (the kids who come from 9:15 to 3:30) were lined up to go home when I overheard a great conversation.
Boy 1: Jesus is our friend.
Boy 2: Yeah!
Boy 1: He died and went to the spirit world.
Boy 3: The spirit world? What?
Boy 1: Yeah, he was dead for three days. Yeah 1,2,3 days! And then he came back to life! And these other guys rolled the stone away from the tomb.
I talked to Boy 1's mother about it when she picked him up. They have been talking about Easter at home. We were laughing about it. He'll make a great missionary! It's amazing how fearless children are and how they can talk to anyone about anything!
One more story. Last Thursday another little girl in my class told me, "My dad has to pick me up today because my mom is taking a pregnancy test right now." Then the next day she mentioned something about it again and how her mom wasn't pregnant but had something wrong. I don't know. All I can say is be careful about what you say around your children!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
lol I LOVE the stories! I miss the ones that come when teaching little tikes.
Thanks for the entry, you have hit your quota for the week ;)
I agree with Alyssa! Love the stories and love that you are posting again.
By the way do you remember ever learning a song in your ECE classes that had to do with monkeys and an alligator? The alligator snaps and the kids do the action? I'm trying to remember the words and the tune, if you could help me out, that would be great.
You are awesome. Thanks so much. Gabe loves songs and I was fresh out of new ones.By the way, here is my email address: heatherlw@gmail.com
Oh, Rosalee! I love these stories!! What sweet children and what a great teacher you are! I hope Lucy has a teacher like you someday!!
And I wanted to say thanks for your kind comment on our blog - it especially meant a lot to Wes.
We love you and think you're wonderful! Keep up the good work!
The last sentence of your blog is funny to us, because when we're annoyed at drivers on the road we realized that if we keep mumbling "stupid driver" Alana may pick up on it! Yikes!!!! Being a parent is great and kind of scary!!
I love the stories though...
Isn't there some way you can talk about religion in front of the kids? Like if you talk about how it's a belief and not a fact? I don't know. It seems "Stupid" to call it a blanket taboo.
Post a Comment